Friday, April 27, 2007

The VIClient

After rebuilding the stub DLLs, I realized that anyone who was using my VIClient DLL would start having problems - since it was built to use the old DLLs. So I took the opportunity to split it out into its own project, cleaned it up a little, and now I have not only a new binary version for you all - but the complete source code as well. For now I'm just releasing it under the good ol' GPL, mostly because I'm really not familiar with the range of various open-source licenses out there. In the future I may consider moving it to the LGPL, or maybe something completely different if someone can come up with a good argument as to why I should.

And so - the links you're all waiting for.

  • Compiled version of VIClient.DLL here.
  • VS-2005 solution for VIClient with full source here.
The compiled version was built using the stub DLLs linked in my previous post. I'm really not sure if it will work with any version of those DLLs, or if it requires those specific copies - I think any version should be ok. Obviously if you're using the source almost any version of the DLLs should be fine - you just might need to fix the project references to point at them. Any projects using the VIClient will also need references to VimService2005.

And like the readme with the source code says - there is no warrantee of any kind on any of this stuff I release. It works for me in production - but it might not for you. You can't blame me if it kills your dog. And I'm afraid right now there's no documentation either, except the code itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, I was hoping to use your dlls with PowerShell to bun some scripts on VirtualCenter and I'm having some trouble. I've done mostly vbscript in the past so I'm kind of new to .net and PowerShell. Take a look at the error below and let me tell me what you think:

PS C:\Program Files\vi-sdk> [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("c:\program files\vi-sdk\VimService2005.dll")

GAC Version Location
--- ------- --------
False v2.0.50727 c:\program files\vi-sdk\VimService2005.dll


PS C:\Program Files\vi-sdk> [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("c:\program files\vi-sdk\VimService2005.XmlSerializers.dll")


GAC Version Location
--- ------- --------
False v2.0.50727 c:\program files\vi-sdk\VimService2005.XmlSerializers.dll


PS C:\Program Files\vi-sdk> [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("c:\program files\vi-sdk\VIClient.dll")

GAC Version Location
--- ------- --------
False v2.0.50727 c:\program files\vi-sdk\VIClient.dll


PS C:\Program Files\vi-sdk> $sc = new-object VIClient.VIClient
PS C:\Program Files\vi-sdk> $sc.Connect("https://vmmth1.cinf.net/sdk", "cinfin\rleist", "********")
Exception calling "Connect" with "3" argument(s): "Could not load file or assembly 'VimService2005.XmlSerializers' or o
ne of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
At line:1 char:12
+ $sc.Connect( <<<< "https://vmmth1.cinf.net/sdk", "cinfin\rleist", "*********")
PS C:\Program Files\vi-sdk>

Perrin said...

Rob - grabbed the tools and will be kicking the tires this week. Thanks for the effort!

Rob said...

Anon: I have yet to try PowerShell for anything - I'm afraid I don't recognize any of those error messages. It looks to me like you've told it to load everything you should need, it should work.

VMware has announced a "Remote CLI" as part of the ESX 3i announcement (since it doesn't have a service console), it may be able to do what you're trying to do. I'm afraid details about that remote CLI are still scarce, though I expect there will be lots of stuff about it by next week when everyone gets home with their 3i trial USB sticks.

Wow Gold said...

Randy Run has the contacts to first-class pro gamers, who not only supply your daily dose of WoW gold, but also offer interesting level services like WoW powerleveling, Wow profession levelling and WoW PvP levelling.

Wow News said...

Nice blog,try it once