Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Using the VI3 SDK from VB.NET

And yet another post in the first hour of this blog's existence. And once again it's really just an excuse to link to some of my stuff thats already out on the 'net.

So it turns out that a lot of people out there want to use the VI3 SDK from VB, but are having issues since there is no sample code at all. Well I taught myself from the C# example code, and the MAC tool was the result. And since I've also been working on some other tools (not released) I moved a bunch of my code into a DLL so I could re-use it. Well now Eric Sloof over at NTPRO.NL has published an article on using the SDK from VB, and he's recommending using the DLL's distributed with my MAC tool as the easy way to do it.

Now I've got no problem at all with that, in fact I've already talked with Eric to help him make better use of those DLLs. But I wanted a place where I could publish my own thoughts and ramblings on using the SDK from VB, as well as on my DLL. Though I'm unsure whether I'll ever release the full source of the MAC tool, I do want to at least get that DLL source out. Maybe my little DLL will eventually develop into a .NET API similar to the VI3-Perl-toolkit.

So - you can expect to start seeing some code on here in the near future. I do need to go through and do some cleanup before I post it up, but hopefully it won't take too long. I'd also like to do some short code samples of how to make use of both my DLL as well as the SDK in general. So if there's something you'd like to know how to do from VB using the SDK please let me know - it might be the first example. But until then, the article at ntpro has some very limited instructions on it that I e-mailed to Eric.

No comments: