Wednesday, April 25, 2007

MAC Address Management under VI3

So this is the motivation that got me to create this blog. I built this tool quite a while back, and have published it to the internet a couple times now. The original version never made it out of a post at the VMWare community forums. When I finished an updated version of the tool, I wanted something better for it and after a brief e-mail discussion I got Richard Garsthagen over at Run-Virtual to host it for me. What I'd really like to do is host it myself, because I like watching the statistics on how many people download it. But thats something I don't plan to get into until/unless I release yet another updated version.

Whats the point of this post then? Well to make it easier for me to make and receive comments about my tool. And the one comment I've gotten by far the most, are requests to release the source code. I'm still sitting on the fence on that decision though, mostly because a lot of the code in there is a serious mess. Besides being written in a rather short amount of time, it was also my first ever project using the VI3 SDK and so it was a learning experience for me. But fear not, I will be posting code up on here - it just might not be the complete source to the MAC tool.

No comments: